In order to qualify for the DSA, a facility must first pass the following screening criteria.
- A location must achieve the following requirements for the calendar year:
- an employee total recordable incidence rate (TRIR) of 0.30 or less,
- a contractor total recordable incidence rate (TRIR) of 0.30 or less.
- A location must have had no employee workplace related fatalities and no non-employee (contractor, visitor, etc.) workplace related fatalities for the previous five consecutive years.
A location must answer NO to the following questions to pass the screening criteria and be eligible to apply for the DSA award:
- Did the location experience a community evacuation or sheltering event, or worker/contractor hospitalization (admitted for treatment) during the evaluation period?
- Did the location experience a recordable injury (employee AND/OR contractor) where any of the following caused or contributed to the injury during the evaluation year?
- Failure to isolate hazardous energy
- Opening process equipment improperly prepared for maintenance
- Improperly prepared or hazardous confined space
- Improperly prepared or hazardous excavation
- Any falls from height (>4 feet)
- Any Tier 1 or 2 PSE
- Contact /exposure to hazardous materials
- Crane or rigging failure
- Caught by machinery or struck by debris, equipment, or falling objects
- Electrical work or hot work on equipment not verified as hydrocarbon free
- Failure to verify work permit
- Failure in PPE chosen for the task or the incorrect PPE for the task
- Use of the correct tool incorrectly or use of incorrect tool for the task
- Deliberately bypassing safeguards or interlocks
- Community evacuation or sheltering event
- Did the location have any API RP Tier 1 Process Safety Events (PSE) that required notification to the National Response Center during the evaluation year?
- PSE requirements, No Tier 1 or 2 PSEs that resulted in a recordable injury
- No Tier 1 events that required notification to the National Response Center
Apply for the DSA Award by emailing Anna Scherer