The AFPM Safety Awards Program is part of a comprehensive safety program developed by AFPM’s Safety and Health Committee to promote accident prevention. Qualifications for awards are based on records from the OSHA 300A Summary and API 754 Process Safety Collection.
The safety awards program is open to AFPM Regular Member companies that operate a U.S. refinery or petrochemical manufacturing plant and AFPM Associate Member contractors. Associate members must have their application approved by a regular member operating facility to be eligible for an award.
Distinguished Safety Award
The Distinguished Safety Award (DSA) is AFPM’s most prestigious award. The DSA recognizes member companies that have attained an exemplary level of safety performance. Recipients are chosen by a selection committee comprised of members of the AFPM Safety and Health Committee. The Selection Committee carefully examines the safety performance records of individual plant locations using the DSA screening and selection criteria.
- Distinguished Safety Award (top one or two applicants)
- Elite Gold Award (top one percent industry safety performance)
- Elite Silver Award (top five percent industry safety performance)
Applicants who do not receive the DSA may be considered for the Elite Gold or Silver Awards, which represents the top one to five percent of the industry’s top safety performers. These awards are presented to those DSA applicants that pass the DSA Screening Criteria and in the judgment of the Selection Committee, have exhibited superior and excellent safety performance and program innovation.
The deadline for the DSA Application is January 25, 2019 (COB).
- DSA Screening Criteria and selection process
- Most recent Safety Awards
- Previous DSA Award Winners
- Previous Elite Gold Award Winners
- Previous Elite Silver Award Winners
Safety Achievement Awards
Facilities can qualify for a Safety Achievement Award by meeting the following criteria:
- An employee total recordable incident rate (TRIR) of 0.45 or less in a calendar year.
- No employee workplace-related fatalities and no non-employee (contractor, visitor, etc.) workplace-related fatalities for the reporting year.
- A location must answer NO to the following questions:
Did the location experience an injury to a company employee that required hospitalization (admitted for treatment) during the evaluation period?
Did the location experience a company employee recordable injury where any of the following caused or contributed to the injury during the evaluation period?
- Failure to isolate hazardous energy (lockout/tagout)
- Opening process equipment not properly prepared for maintenance
- Improperly prepared or hazardous confined space
- Improperly prepared or hazardous excavation
- Falls from height (>4 feet)
- Any Tier 1 of 2 Process Safety Event (PSE)
- Contact/exposure to hazardous materials (physical and chemical)
- H2S, HF, Hydrocarbons, Corrosives, Electricity, Radiation, Excessive Heat, etc.
- Any crane or rigging failure
- Did the location experience a community evacuation or sheltering event during the evaluation period?
Did the location have any API RP Tier 1 Process Safety Events (PSE) that required notification to the National Response Center during the evaluation period?
Contractor Safety Achievement Award
This award recognizes maintenance contractors working a minimum of 20,000 hours per the calendar year at a regular member facility.