In order to qualify for the DSA, a facility must first pass the following screening criteria:
A location must achieve the following requirements for the calendar year:
- An employee total recordable incidence rate (TRIR) of 0.30 or less
- A contractor total recordable incidence rate (TRIR) of 0.30 or less
- No employee workplace-related fatalities and no non-employee (contractor, visitor, etc.) workplace-related fatalities for the previous five consecutive years
A location must answer NO to the following questions:
- Did the location experience a community evacuation or sheltering event, or worker/contractor hospitalization (admitted for treatment) during the evaluation period?
- Did the location experience a recordable injury where any of the following caused or contributed to the injury during the evaluation year?
- Failure to isolate hazardous energy (lockout/tagout)
- Opening process equipment not properly prepared for maintenance
- Improperly prepared or hazardous confined space
- Improperly prepared or hazardous excavation
- Any falls from height (>4 feet)
- Any Tier 1 of 2 Process Safety Event (PSE)
- Contact/exposure to hazardous materials (physical and chemical)
- H2S, HF, Hydrocarbons, Corrosives, Electricity, Radiation, Excessive Heat, etc.
- Any crane or rigging failure
Did the location have any Process Safety Events (PSE) that required notification to the National Response Center during the evaluation year?
- No Tier 1 or 2 PSEs that resulted in a recordable injury
- No Tier 1 events that required notification to the National Response Center
After passing the screening criteria, the applicant’s overall safety performance record and progress will be evaluated by the selection committee based on the applicant’s written application. The selection committee will conduct in-person interviews in order to make decisions on awarding the DSA and Elite Gold recipients at the AFPM Annual meeting.
Apply for the DSA Award by emailing Anna Scherer