If you can imagine it, our products are part of it. Petrochemicals are the building blocks that are essential to making the goods that make modern life possible — from paints to plastics, space suits to solar panels, medicines to mobile phones.
All of these things start with just six basic petrochemicals — ethylene, propylene, butylenes, benzene, toluene, xylenes — that are combined with other chemicals and transformed into other materials that make products better.
Petrochemicals do things like:
- Make your phone water resistant
- Keep food fresher longer
- Make your carpets stain resistant
- Help tires repair themselves
- Keep first-responders safe with fire-retardant clothing
- Extend lives with cutting-edge medical technologies
And, even if you can’t imagine it (yet), petrochemicals are part of the solution to some of the world’s biggest challenges.
- Robotic suits that allow people to walk again
- Parachutes that allow NASA to land safely on Mars
- 3D printed organs that eliminate the need for a donor waiting list
- More efficient ways to make fresh water available to those who do not have it
Petrochemicals make progress possible.