American Fuel & Petrochemical Manufacturers (AFPM) is a dynamic trade association representing high-tech American manufacturers of virtually the entire U.S. supply of gasoline, diesel, jet fuel, other fuels and home heating oil, as well as the petrochemicals used as building blocks for thousands of vital products in daily life, from paints to plastics, space suits to solar panels, and medicines to mobile phones.
AFPM is looking for a knowledgeable and impactful Director, State and Local Outreach to join our team of government relations and regulatory affairs professionals. This position plays a key role in the development, implementation and management of AFPM’s outreach strategy at the local, state and national levels. This position educates elected officials, stakeholders and consumers about the fuel and petrochemical manufacturing industries, leads AFPM’s outreach to third-party and non-traditional allies, and impacts national policies and proposed legislation at the state and local levels.
This is a full-time exempt position, reports to the Vice President, State and Local Outreach, and manages a team of four. This position requires frequent local and regional travel.
- Identifies opportunities to educate various state, local and federal-level elected officials on issues important to AFPM’s membership, including working with third-party entities, to deliver AFPM’s message to assigned legislative bodies.
- Collaborates with the Vice President, State and Local Outreach, Government Relations department, and other AFPM staff to identify and prioritize issues that constitute the focus of AFPM’s state-level educational engagement.
- Assists the Vice President in managing the State and Local Outreach Committee, keeping members informed of all legislative and regulatory issues important to the industry and helping plan and execute monthly committee meetings.
- Represents AFPM at conferences and events, including direct interaction with a broad spectrum of state-level elected officials to articulate AFPM’s positions on a range of critical policy issues, and occasional public speaking engagements.
- Manages a coalition of groups engaged in issue-specific, regional educational advocacy efforts, including coordinating with independent contractors, monitoring legislative developments, and serving as AFPM’s primary point of contact for coalition members.
- Work closely with the Vice President, State and Local Outreach to maintain efficient and effective communications with members to ensure that AFPM’s outreach efforts remain aligned with member expectations and that members are well-informed regarding the outcomes of our engagement.
- Coordinates with AFPM’s Communications department to develop proactive messaging through social media, op-eds, speaking opportunities, blog posts and other means.
- Identifies and engages other relevant associations and entities to coordinate strategic educational and relationship-building efforts.
- Minimum of 6-8 years of professional experience in third-party outreach and issues advocacy in an association or industry, issues or candidate campaign management, and/or congressional or state legislative experience.
- Experience with and strong knowledge of federal and state regulatory and legislative processes in connection with energy issues.
- Firm understanding of the regulatory processes and implications of federal energy and environmental regulations at the state level.
- Exceptional communication skills, including presentation skills, evidenced by experience in communicating advocacy positions verbally and in writing.
- Strong working knowledge of traditional and new media, including social networks and web multimedia.
- Keen attention to detail, including the ability to proofread and fact-check accurately and quickly.
- Experience managing a team of professionals, collaborating and working in a team environment, and working alongside and with other departments.
- Willingness and ability to travel locally, regionally and nationally as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in government relations, communications, or a related field.