From our beginnings as the National Petroleum Association in 1902, the association now known as the American Fuel & Petrochemical Manufacturers has successfully worked on behalf of American manufacturers that serve the American people and make modern life possible.
Early in the last century, petroleum refiners were represented by regional organizations.
NPA was founded with the goal of “securing good to the Independent Oil refiners of Pennsylvania and Ohio.”
The Western Petroleum Refiners Association was created in 1912, merging with the Texas Petroleum Refiners Association in 1920 and with the Arkansas-Louisiana Refiners Association in 1936.
NPA and WPA, which had worked together over the years, merged in 1961 to become the National Petroleum Refiners Association.
In 1998 we became the National Petrochemical & Refiners Association to reflect the important role of petrochemical manufacturers in our association and in America.
Today we are the American Fuel & Petrochemical Manufacturers, a name selected to more accurately described who we are, what we do and how we benefit the American people. This name emphasizes more than ever what we stand for – American manufacturing and jobs; proven and reliable products for your life every day; economic and national security; and a commitment to serve our nation and the American people.
American Fuel & Petrochemical Manufacturers
1800 M Street, NW Suite 900 North
Washington, DC 20036