This position is currently a hybrid remote/in-office position.
American Fuel & Petrochemical Manufacturers (AFPM) is a dynamic trade association representing high-tech American manufacturers of virtually the entire U.S. supply of gasoline, diesel, jet fuel, other fuels and home heating oil, as well as the petrochemicals used as building blocks for thousands of vital products in daily life, from paints to plastics, space suits to solar panels, and medicines to mobile phones. As a national trade association representing American refineries and petrochemical companies, AFPM engages in federal, state and local issues on behalf of our members. As part of this work, AFPM carries out a number of communications and education campaigns around specific issues and policy matters throughout the United States. AFPM follows a newsroom model for content development, in which members of the Communications team collectively review content performance, contribute news updates and identify opportunities for media engagement and owned content creation.
AFPM seeks a detail-oriented utility player to serve as Issue Communications Specialist within its growing Communications team. The Specialist will provide comprehensive communications, committee and coalition support under the umbrella of AFPM Issue Communications. This position will support AFPM engagement in various coalitions and industry groups, will develop master planning calendars for the Communications team, and will be an active contributor by monitoring key news and policy developments, submitting ideas for creative and written content around AFPM’s core issues and policies, and project-managing select deliverables.
AFPM Newsroom support, content development
- Own development and ongoing revisions to a master calendar identifying key moments in time for Newsroom content planning
- Regularly track key news and conversations from thought-leaders, policymakers and media
- Support the development of issue-specific content, including blogs, statements, issue resource pages, backgrounders, etc.; create and adhere to workback timelines on each.
- Monitor key news and digital conversations to inform newsroom discussions and content
- Contribute ideas for creative and written content to be published on AFPM owned channels or pitched to media
- Assist in media relations activities, including list building, pitching, distributing press releases and materials, and tracking coverage
- Refine and update AFPM’s media packet
Committee and Coalition support
- Manage the scheduling, agenda-setting, and content development timelines for monthly AFPM communications committee meetings
- Maintain committee contact lists and develop a cadence for regular outreach and resource-sharing among members
- Participate in/manage follow-up duties stemming from various AFPM coalition meetings, ensuring content is shared, contributions are made, etc.
- Interface with external consultants and subject matter experts to complete specific creative tasks and content projects, on time and within budget
- Conduct other communications and administrative tasks as appropriate and as directed by the Director of Issue Communications and Senior Vice President of Communications
- A high degree of problem-solving and organizational skills, and an ability to develop and implement communications strategies and tactics.
- 3+ years of relevant work experience; demonstrated interest in the energy and manufacturing industries is a plus.
- Conscientious with details, highly motivated, and able to metabolize feedback and implement edits across deliverables.
- An eye for clean, consistent formatting and presentation documents (particularly PPT), consistent with brand guidelines, as well as the ability to articulate design needs to professional graphics and print teams
- Experience with HTML, CSS and creative suites is a plus
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Familiarity with AP Style preferred