This position is currently a hybrid remote/in-office position.
American Fuel & Petrochemical Manufacturers (AFPM) is a dynamic trade association representing high-tech American manufacturers of virtually the entire U.S. supply of gasoline, diesel, jet fuel, other fuels and home heating oil, as well as the petrochemicals used as building blocks for thousands of vital products in daily life, from paints to plastics, space suits to solar panels, and medicines to mobile phones. As a national trade association representing American refineries and petrochemical companies, AFPM engages in federal, state and local issues on behalf of our members. As part of this work, AFPM carries out a number of communications and education campaigns around specific issue and policy matters throughout the United States.
AFPM seeks an experienced public affairs, campaign or advocacy communications professional to join its growing Communications team as Senior Specialist, Issue and Advocacy Communications. The Senior Specialist will develop communications and mobilization plans and related content to support AFPM engagement on key issues at the federal, state and local levels; oversee and partner with consultants on communications, grassroots/grass-tops and digital issue campaigns at the federal, state and local levels; and, execute the mobilization strategy for AFPM’s industry-wide engagement program, EMPOWER. The Senior Specialist will also be an active contributor, or “beat reporter,” in the AFPM newsroom, updating the team on policy developments, identifying priority issue content gaps and assembling smaller action teams within the newsroom to develop engaging content across AFPM-owned channels.
Issue campaign communications:
- Work with AFPM state & local outreach and federal engagement teams to monitor developing issue campaigns and identify communications needs to support teams on the ground
- Develop communications plans and educational materials around key issues, including letters, template op-eds, draft testimony, fact sheets, FAQ documents, etc.
- Manage field teams, consultants and grassroots, grass-tops programs
- Drive the EMPOWER program’s advocacy communications
- Manage advocacy reports, including company-specific engagement metrics
- Build out the issue education section of EMPOWER’s in-person training
- Expand EMPOWER facility mobilization resources to include a guide for hosting VIP site visits, inclusive of event planning templates, invitations and sample agendas
- Within the AFPM Newsroom, own issue-specific content, including blogs, statements, one-pagers, issue resource pages, backgrounders, etc. for relevant beats
- Develop plans around key policy timelines and manage relevant communications
- At least four years of relevant work experience; energy industry experience a plus.
- Campaign and/or advocacy experience, including mastery of digital and traditional engagement tactics.
- Accessible, clear writing and speaking skills, appropriate for grassroots audiences.
- Excellent judgment.
- A high degree of problem-solving and organizational skills, and an ability to develop and implement communications strategies and tactics.