American Fuel & Petrochemical Manufacturers (AFPM) is a dynamic trade association representing high-tech American manufacturers of virtually the entire U.S. supply of gasoline, diesel, jet fuel, other fuels and home heating oil, as well as the petrochemicals used as building blocks for thousands of vital products in daily life, from paints to plastics, space suits to solar panels, and medicines to mobile phones.
AFPM is looking for a knowledgeable and impactful Senior Manager, Government Relations to join our team of government relations and regulatory affairs professionals. This position is an integral member of the group and participates in the development, implementation, and management of the organization’s federal legislative strategies and programs, in addition to serving as an AFPM lobbyist before the U.S. Congress and the Executive Branch.
This is a full-time exempt position and reports to the Vice President, Government Relations.
The Senior Manager, Government Relations:
- Develops and executes programs to advance AFPM’s legislative strategy, and identifies emerging legislative issues and trends impacting AFPM member companies.
- Initiates and maintains effective working relationships with Members of Congress, Congressional staff, Congressional Committees, Executive Branch officials and their staff.
- Monitors and drives legislation pertaining to the fuels and petrochemical industries.
- Participates in, develops and leads coalition activities in support of AFPM objectives.
- Develops and maintains strong and positive working relationships with AFPM member company representatives.
- Assists in the preparation of high-quality Congressional testimony, comments, presentations and other advocacy materials.
- Attends PAC and other political events as needed.
- Coordinates and collaborates with other AFPM departments to achieve desired objectives.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience working with energy and environmental policy in a related association, industry or congressional office.
- Experience with and strong knowledge of the legislative, regulatory, policymaking and political processes.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically about the policy, politics and press of an issue and translate strategy into action.
- Ability to prioritize, plan, organize and carry out multiple assignments to achieve multiple objectives.
- Excellent work ethic and the ability to work well in a team environment.
- Superior oral and written communication skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in government relations or a related field, or equivalent experience