This position is currently a hybrid in-office / remote work position. Only local candidates within commuting distance of our Washington, D.C. office will be considered.
We are seeking an experienced sustainability, public affairs, or corporate communications professional to grow and manage AFPM’s budding sustainability program and Sustainability Working Group. Started in 2019, the mission of AFPM’s Sustainability Working Group was to align on and articulate a shared vision of sustainability that was both authentic to AFPM members and relevant to the public conversation. This led to the development of the first U.S. refining and petrochemical manufacturers’ industry-wide sustainability report, which AFPM now produces annually. Since then, AFPM has been growing the mission of the group to include developing tools and resources to support our members’ sustainability goals, facilitate knowledge-sharing among membership, and elevate issues and opportunities on emerging trends, ESG reporting and public policy, among other topics.
The Manager will work hand-in-hand with AFPM membership and the Senior Vice President to develop and execute strategies to
- Promote the progress being made on sustainability within the refining and petrochemical industries and the role of these industries in a more sustainable future;
- Develop tools and resources to support members’ sustainability priorities;
- Facilitate knowledge sharing and learning among members on relevant sustainability topics; and
- Take the sustainability program to the next level.
The ideal candidate has exposure to energy, chemical and/or broader manufacturing issues and has experience in an agency or in-house sustainability or ESG team. Initiative-taking, resourceful candidates with an entrepreneurial spirit will be an especially good fit for this role.
- Align with the Senior Vice President on priorities for the year, develop annual engagement plan and lead day-to-day execution of the program
- Facilitate AFPM’s Sustainability Working Group by leading quarterly working group meetings, driving alignment among members on Working Group priorities and products and facilitating feedback on Working Group products
- Oversee the development of sustainability-related communications products – including the annual sustainability report, blogs, multimedia content – with the support of the Specialist, Brand and Marketing Communications and outside consultants
- Stay up to date on and elevate emerging sustainability trends, issues, and opportunities relevant to AFPM members
- Identify white space and opportunities for AFPM to develop new tools or resources to support member priorities
- Work collaboratively with communications, government relations and policy teams on sustainability-related issues
- At least seven years of related work experience required; specific experience leading content strategy, ESG reporting and stakeholder engagement on sustainability is a plus.
- Exposure to or experience in energy, chemical and/or broader manufacturing issues strongly preferred.
- Relevant bachelor’s degree strongly preferred.
- Experience coordinating projects across a number of stakeholders with differing interests.
- Experience with committee facilitation in a trade association or similar industry.
- Team player who effectively integrates, motivates, and builds relationships with stakeholders with varying backgrounds and responsibilities.
- Ability to take initiative, self-motivate and be resourceful.
- Attention to detail with high degree of problem solving and organizational skills.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office programs including Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Teams.