American Fuel & Petrochemical Manufacturers (AFPM) is a dynamic trade association representing high-tech American manufacturers of virtually the entire U.S. supply of gasoline, diesel, jet fuel, other fuels, and home heating oil, as well as the petrochemicals used as building blocks for thousands of vital products in daily life, from paints to plastics, space suits to solar panels, and medicines to mobile phones.
AFPM is looking for an experienced writer, written content manager, public affairs or corporate communications professional to join its growing Communications team. The Manager, Editorial & Executive Communications, will be responsible for editorial and issue content development across the association, liaise with media and coordinate and staff executive communications opportunities—including speeches and media interviews—for AFPM senior leadership. They will provide quality control, accountability, and clear project management to get owned and earned content projects across the finish line consistent with AFPM brand guidelines, messaging and voice.
- Set agendas for weekly AFPM Newsroom content and story mining meetings and ensure action items and assignments follow from each
- Work to uplevel AFPM content and raise the narrative bar across AFPM Newsroom beats by considering story and content ideas from the perspective of target audiences, setting clear expectations for completing AFPM newsroom tasks and projects, pushing to improve upon products started by others and ensuring content is released with appropriate amplification
- Stay on top of relevant industry and political news, plan content around key milestones, including annual observances, AFPM conferences, policy and political events, etc.
- Maintain a big picture tracker of all AFPM Newsroom-related content projects underway, ensuring all owned channels are being considered (digital, sponsored content, blog, etc.) to get the most mileage from our efforts and “keep the trains running on time”
- Cultivate relationships with journalists covering the fuel refining, petrochemical manufacturing and midstream industries, and AFPM priority issues
- Work collaboratively with internal teams, AFPM subject matter experts and other communications team members on media responses, interview opportunities and strategies for media outreach
- Identify, track, and evaluate media engagement opportunities
- Manage, prep for and produce key media activations, including satellite media tours, press calls, media availabilities, etc.
- Work with the Senior Vice President of Communications to develop and execute an executive thought leadership plan
- Work with senior leaders to draft articles, op-eds, editorials, speeches, letters, memos and other public-facing materials
- Establish work-back plans and oversee editing and review processes for executive content
- Bachelor’s degree and five or more years of relevant work experience; energy, chemical or manufacturing industry experience a plus
- Proven experience collaborating and thriving in a team environment, managing up and down
- Strong writing, editing and public speaking skills; AP style experience preferred
- Media engagement experience including excellent news judgment and understanding of how the media operates
- High degree of problem-solving, strategic thinking, curiosity and resourcefulness, and organizational skills
- Ability to develop and implement communications strategies and tactics