This position is currently a hybrid remote/in-office position.
American Fuel & Petrochemical Manufacturers (AFPM) is a dynamic trade association representing high-tech American manufacturers of virtually the entire U.S. supply of gasoline, diesel, jet fuel, other fuels and home heating oil, as well as the petrochemicals used as building blocks for thousands of vital products in daily life, from paints to plastics, space suits to solar panels, and medicines to mobile phones.
AFPM seeks an experienced journalist, public affairs, political or corporate communications professional to join its growing Communications team as Manager, Editorial and Executive Communications. The Manager will coordinate editorial content development across the association, liaise with media, support executive communications, and identify thought leadership opportunities for AFPM senior leadership.
AFPM follows an audience-centric newsroom model for content development, in which members of the broader team contribute news updates and identify opportunities for earned media and owned content creation. The Manager will assess and drive fuel and petrochemical industry stories both externally, among industry and trade press. In partnership with the Director of Issue Communications, this position will interface with executives and subject matter experts, and the media, responding to inquiries, pitching on key issues and developing good working relationships with journalists covering energy, policy and manufacturing beats.
Manage the AFPM Newsroom:
- Work with external consultants to set agendas for Newsroom trend-spotting meetings and ensure action items and assignments follow from each
- Align with Senior Vice President and Director of Issue Communications on newsroom goals, based on performance metrics
- Develop audience-centric story and content ideas and raise the narrative bar across newsroom beats, directing a review of each and setting the expectation for creative supplements to all stories, multi-channel content distribution and proactive story pitching
- Stay on top of relevant industry and political news, plan content around key milestones, including annual observances, AFPM conferences, policy and political events, etc.
- Provide a quality edit to all content produced for the AFPM newsroom—ensuring consistency of voice, proper tone and brand adherence
- Cultivate relationships with journalists covering the fuel refining and petrochemical manufacturing industries, and AFPM priority issues
- Work collaboratively with the Director of Issue Communications, AFPM subject matter experts and other communications team members on media responses, interview opportunities and proactive outreach, including list building for precise media targeting
- Identify media engagement opportunities through news and digital monitoring and track and evaluate media engagement
Executive communications and thought leadership:
- Work with the Senior Vice President to develop and execute an executive thought leadership plan
- Work with senior leaders to draft articles, op-eds, editorials, speeches, letters, memos and other public-facing materials
- Establish work-back plans and oversee editing and review processes for executive content
- At least seven years of relevant work experience; energy, chemical or manufacturing industry experience a plus.
- Outstanding writing, editing and speaking skills.
- Strong familiarity with news writing and AP style.
- Media engagement experience. Excellent news judgment and understanding of how the media operates.
- A high degree of problem-solving and organizational skills, and the ability to develop and implement communications strategies and tactics.
- A strong detail-orientation with the ability to multi-task, and to translate complex issues accurately and clearly.